Pages

That's Who You Are

Listen: 07-04-10: :: mp3 (Maddie Shuler special music) 

Charts:

Date: Sermon Text :: notes
  • 07-04-10: :: mp3 (Maddie Shuler special music) 
Identifying Artist: Mike Slade, Maddie Shuler

Lyrics

Everyone believes I’ve got it all together,
That I’m ordered and all in control.
But I’m broken and torn and confused just as much as them all.
Like a child I run from You, Father.
And turn away from all that You’ve done.
If anyone doesn’t deserve what You’ve given – I’M THE ONE.

 ‘Cause I’m the man and the woman in the Garden
Who first gave sin its birth.
I’m angrily holding a stone as you write in the earth.
I’m the one who three times denied You
And chose instead to hide.
I’m the one who didn’t believe until I touched your side. 
THAT’S WHO I AM.

Your time began before time began,
And in a certain way so did my own.
Because You loved me and You pined for me
Even before I was known.
But I was there as You walked among those of us
Who loved You and who cast You aside
And with amazing grace You welcome me with arms open wide.

 ‘Cause I’m the one who shouted "crucify!”
As You withered in pain and in strife.
I’m the one who was freed from the prison
In exchange for Your life.
I’m the one who mocked and cursed You
And laughed at Your struggle and loss.
I held that hammer and I nailed You to that Cross.
THAT’S WHO I AM.

In all of my wandering and in all of my longing,
I ask myself “how can it be?”
That knowing who I am and knowing what I’ve done
You’d take on the death meant for me.
You’re the Way, You’re the Truth and You are the Light,
And You make the blind one see.
You are love sent down from God above.
You’re the One who died for me

You’re the One who walked on the water.
You’re the One who came to save.
You’re the One who poured out love for me.
You’re the One who rose from the grave.
THAT’S WHO YOU ARE.



Words by Mike Slade, Music by Maddie Shuler, 2010.